Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation

photo of Ohio Senate
ANDY CHOW / STATEHOUSE NEWS BUREAU

The Senate has passed a $645 million budget for the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, after stripping out sections added by the House on first responders and immigration. 

The Senate cut a House provision that would allow first responders to file claims for post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD without having to show physical injuries. Senate President Larry Obhof (R-Medina) said with both the BWC budget and the two-year operating budget needing to be signed by Sunday June 30th, Senators went back to Gov. Mike DeWine’s original BWC proposal.

a photograph of Mike DeWine
DAN KONIK / Statehouse News Bureau

A large rebate is likely in the future for about 200,000 employers in Ohio. The state Bureau of Workers’ Compensation hopes to send $1.5 billion back to companies that paid premiums. 

Photo of Dave Yost
ANDY CHOW / STATEHOUSE NEWS BUREAU

Attorney General Dave Yost has filed a lawsuit against a prescription drug middleman that was working with the state’s Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. He’s taken the action after an attempt at mediation failed.

photo of prescription pills
OADRXBI

Starting on July 1, the Ohio Bureau of Worker’s Compensation will no longer pay for a powerful painkiller that’s at the center of the opioid crisis in the Buckeye State. 

KAREN KASLER / STATEHOUSE NEWS BUREAU

Gov. Mike DeWine has submitted to lawmakers what he hopes to see in the budget for a key agency – a budget that’s separate from the big statewide spending plan he’ll introduce next month. 

DeWine’s two year, $645 million dollar budget for the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation includes a proposed reduction of an average of 20 percent in premiums for private employers, which his office says is the largest cut in premiums in 60 years.

First Energy downtown Akron
Tim Rudell / WKSU

Here are your morning headlines for Friday, June 29:

A photo of the exterior of University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS

Here are your morning headlines for Wednesday, April 25:

A photo of workers' comp headquarters in Columbus
DAN KONIK / STATEHOUSE NEWS BUREAU

Employers could be getting a big rebate if the Board of Directors for the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation approves it.

Workers' Comp Administrator Sarah Morrison says the agency’s investment strategy is paying off. So she will ask the board to give $1.5 billion in premium rebates to employers this summer.

Lane V Erikson / Shuttershock

Here are your morning headlines for Thursday, Jan. 11:

Many businesses around the state could soon be getting a big rebate from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.

More than 200,000 employers might get rebates from the BWC totaling more than $1 billion. According to the bureau, most rebates will be about 66 percent of what the employer paid in workers’ compensation premiums last year.

Republican Senate President Larry Obhof of Medina believes this rebate on top of declining workers’ compensation  costs are making the state more attractive to businesses.

Photo of Steve Buehrer
ANDY CHOW / OHIO PUBLIC RADIO

The leader of Ohio’s Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is stepping down after five years in the position.

Statehouse correspondent Andy Chow talked to him on his way out of the office.

Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation Administrator Steve Buehrer made more than 300 official appearances and speaking engagements around the state. He said it was important to travel Ohio and meet with employees and employers face-to-face.