Sales Associate – Underwriting, WKSU
ARE YOU READY TO TAKE YOUR MEDIA SALES CAREER TO A MEANINGFUL PLACE?
DO YOU LOVE PUBLIC RADIO - NPR?
WE HAVE AN EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY AVAILABLE AT WKSU 89.7!
We are seeking a determined, persuasive, skillful media sales professional to join our team at WKSU.
WKSU 89.7, a service of Kent State University, is an award-winning, highly regarded community institution. With a mission of enriching lives and strengthening the community through the power of media, WKSU engages 22 northeast Ohio counties through partnerships, media placements and events.
Meaningful and Engaging Work: In this position you will help businesses and non-profits connect to WKSU’s audience with their sponsorship message on multiple delivery channels including radio, digital and events. In this relationship building role, you will reach out to decision makers at local businesses, meet with them to understand their marketing needs and develop proposals that offer marketing solutions to help them grow their businesses. This is a high performance position in that you will prospect, conduct needs assessments, create and present proposals, close the deal, write copy and service the account. While managing an account list you will also focus on developing new business.
Do You Have?
- Media sales experience is high on our list. In fact, 2+ years is what we are looking for. Sales in broadcast and digital is preferred.
- Passion for public media and the power of radio Knowledge about the programming is beneficial.
- Must have self-motivation and bring an entrepreneurial spirit. We’re looking for a self-starter with ideas and drive to succeed.
- Excellent people skills – Proactive relationship builder with great listening skills and an easy rapport that is credible and trustworthy.
- Communication skills - thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communications skills. Can you create professional visual presentations and proposals?
- An aptitude for analytics – the ability to gather market data, conduct research and use it to deliver effective presentations.
- Time and resource management skills - prioritize effectively to achieve/exceed goals.
- A collaborative personality. We are looking for a team member who values communicating with management and peers for feedback/insight.
- 4 year college degree; Marketing, Business or related field is preferred; or a combination of education and experience equivalent to six years of experience in sales.
To apply, we require: (1) a letter explaining your interest and how your skills are aligned to this position and (2) your resume. This is YOUR opportunity TO SELL us on being a qualified candidate for this position!
- Compensation package that is competitive and focused on professional development and growth
- Targeted sales training and dedicated management support
- Team of smart, creative and collaborative people
- Core values that include a commitment to the success of all stakeholders, healthy work-life balance and mutual trust, dignity and respect
- An opportunity for free higher education, including graduate level degrees such as an MBA, PhD, etc.
- Generous personal time off, including holidays
- Generous State Retirement Savings Plan along with medical, dental, vision and life insurance plans
For a complete description of this position and to apply online,
visit our jobsite at https://jobs.kent.edu
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer / Disabled / Veterans
WKSU News internships provide Kent State students with a tremendous opportunity to learn the ins and outs of a professionally run radio station. Students who are accepted as interns at WKSU are an integral part of the day-to-day operations of the newsroom. Under the supervision of the news director and his representatives, they gather news and information for use in both daily ‘spot’ news stories and longer ‘feature’ stories produced by WKSU’s reporters and hosts. They are expected to offer ideas for news coverage and, occasionally, may be assigned to cover stories in the field.
Responsibilities: Audio production, script writing, phone interviews, field interviews, WKSU web content loading and social media posting, fact-checking, assisting WKSU reporters, and other newsroom duties as assigned by the news director or other news department supervisors. Interns report to the WKSU newsroom in Kent, but there may be the need occasionally to be at WKSU’s other bureaus in Akron, Canton, or Cleveland, as assigned.
There may occasionally be additional/alternate hours. A driver’s license will be needed.
Academic Requirements: Student must be currently enrolled in Kent State, participation in School of Journalism & Mass Communication preferred, but not required.
Length of Internship: one semester with the opportunity of for additional semesters/summer employment, based on performance.
College Credit: Available, but interns must make their own arrangements for credit.
Paid: Yes, for students not seeking course credit; candidates on work study are preferred.
Contact: Andrew Meyer, News Director.
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Application: Ongoing.
WKSU is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.