News
News Home
Quick Bites
Exploradio
News Archive
News Channel
Special Features
NPR
nowplaying
On AirNewsClassical
Loading...
  
School Closings
WKSU Support
Funding for WKSU is made possible in part through support from the following businesses and organizations.

Greater Akron Chamber

NOCHE

Hennes Paynter Communications


For more information on how your company or organization can support WKSU, download the WKSU Media Kit.

(WKSU Media Kit PDF icon )


Donate Your Vehicle to WKSU

Programs Schedule Make A Pledge Member BenefitsFAQ/HelpContact Us
Ohio


Ohio third-graders retake reading assessment
About 12 percent of students did not pass the test, which is required for advancement into fourth grade
Story by BILL RICE


 
Download (WKSU Only)
In The Region:
Ohio third-graders who fell short on the third-grade reading assessment get another chance at the test this week. StateImpact Ohio's Bill Rice reports.
Ohio third-graders retake reading assessment

Other options:
Windows Media / MP3 Download (1:13)


Last spring, 88 percent of Ohio’s third-graders scored well enough on the reading assessment to advance to the fourth grade. That leaves 12 percent, or about 13,000 to 14,000 kids, who scored below the promotion cut-off score of 394.

The assessment is being offered in districts across the state one last time this week for those who fell short. 

John Charlton is spokesman for the Ohio Department of Education. He says not all those kids will take the test. 

“In addition to the summer administration of that assessment, there are also alternative assessments that can be taken that have been approved by the Department of Education, and of course there are some exemptions to the retention part of that policy as well, so I don’t know that all 12 percent will be taking that assessment.”

Districts were authorized in March to offer three different alternative tests, and many who have already taken them scored well enough to advance with their peers.

Some have suggested those tests must be easier than the third grade assessment, but Charlton disputes that claim.
He cites other factors, such as the fact that they’re taken on a computer rather than on paper, which he says can reduce test anxiety and thus perform better. 

Many districts will be offering alternative tests at various times this summer.
Add Your Comment
Name:

Location:

E-mail: (not published, only used to contact you about your comment)


Comments:




 
Page Options

Print this page

E-Mail this page / Send mp3

Share on Facebook



Stories with Recent Comments

The Black Keys guitar tech's moment in the spotlight
Nice job, Vivian. It's always nice to hear about the unsung heroes getting their due! Thank you, Chuck Johnston (Full disclosure - I'm a friend of the Carney fa...

Akron's Tuba Christmas: A resounding blast of holiday spirit
Nice piece, Vivian! Looking forward to hearing you move from flute to tuba on Saturday. Love hearing your interviews and this seemed extra special since I kno...

Cleveland Hugo Boss workers are fighting for their jobs again
Bro. Ginard; I support your effert to keep your jobs, I understand all about concesions, I was a Union offical from 1965 until 1991 and the company th...

Asian Carp control could benefit from bill passed by House, heading to the Senate
help me fight the battle against invasive carp by method of harvest

Ohio's Portman supports lifting limits on party political money
If Portman was legitimately concerned about outside groups influence on elections he would have supported the DISCLOSE act. Instead he helped block it being bro...

Study shows trade with China has cost more than 3 million U.S. jobs
I disagree with James Dorn! If we don't change the playing field and make it a fair competition the whole US industry will be weaker and weaker. Eventually all ...

Video of Cleveland police shooting a 12-year-old is critical to the investigation
While I think this is a very unfortunate, the fact is that police are trained to aim for the large mass of a human to stop them. If they aimed for the leg it w...

Wayne County teacher says he was fired for criticizing dairy
This is bull crap Smithville Schools have changed ever since the new school I'm so ashamed at the district I wish I could pick my house up and move it to anothe...

White Castle is closing its five Northeast Ohio restaurants
you should open a white castle in logan ohio.i'm pretty sure you disappointed,thank you...

Copyright © 2014 WKSU Public Radio, All Rights Reserved.

 
In Partnership With:

NPR PRI Kent State University

listen in windows media format listen in realplayer format Car Talk Hosts: Tom & Ray Magliozzi Fresh Air Host: Terry Gross A Service of Kent State University 89.7 WKSU | NPR.Classical.Other smart stuff. NPR Senior Correspondent: Noah Adams Living on Earth Host: Steve Curwood 89.7 WKSU | NPR.Classical.Other smart stuff. A Service of Kent State University