News
News Home
Quick Bites
Exploradio
News Archive
News Channel
Special Features
NPR
nowplaying
On AirNewsClassical
Loading...
  
School Closings
WKSU Support
Funding for WKSU is made possible in part through support from the following businesses and organizations.

Don Drumm Studios

Lehmans

Levin Furniture


For more information on how your company or organization can support WKSU, download the WKSU Media Kit.

(WKSU Media Kit PDF icon )


Donate Your Vehicle to WKSU

Programs Schedule Make A Pledge Member BenefitsFAQ/HelpContact Us
Government and Politics


Ohio Lottery offers machines to vets, fraternal clubs
But clubs have to promise to ditch illegal machines
Story by M.L. SCHULTZE AND KAREN KASLER


 
Ohio also extended slots at the state's racetrack via the Lottery.
Courtesy of OHIO LOTTERY
Download (WKSU Only)
In The Region:

The Ohio Lottery announced today it will put 1,200 gaming machines into fraternal lodges and veterans posts around the state. 

Each club will get no more than five of the machines.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine had ordered the clubs last week to give up other electronic slot machines, saying they’re illegal under Ohio law.

According to the Cleveland.com,  Gov. John Kasich's office had asked the Lottery to come up with an alternative.

The Lottery says any organization that wants its machines must promise to get rid of the illegal ones.

The groups, other charities and maker of the machines will split 85 percent of the proceeds, while the Lottery will get the other 15 percent, most of which will be passed onto schools.

 

LISTEN: Karen Kasler on the Lottery and vets clubs

Other options:
Windows Media / MP3 Download (1:03)


BY KAREN KASLER
Some 1,200 so-called “next generation machines” will go out to groups that now use raffle machines Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says are illegal.

Danielle Frizzi Babb with the Ohio Lottery says the governor’s office approached her agency. 

“They said they wanted us to come up with a viable option for the veterans’ and fraternal organizations,” Frizzi Babb said. “And the multi-purpose next generation is the solution.”

The Ohio Veterans and Fraternal Charitable Coalition had wanted legislation to resolve this.

Bill Seagraves says the machines raised $5.5 million in the last two years, and that he feels blindsided.  “I wished they had talked to us about it before they did it, so we could have at least had some input rather than just drop it on us,” Seagraves said.

Frizzi Babb says it’s hard to predict revenues from the new machines, but says after they’re paid off, each is expected to net $50 per day, with 85 percent going to the charitable group and 15 percent to the lottery profits education fund.

Add Your Comment
Name:

Location:

E-mail: (not published, only used to contact you about your comment)


Comments:




 
Page Options

Print this page

E-Mail this page / Send mp3

Share on Facebook



Stories with Recent Comments

Akron council committee recommends Forney for its opening
Which committee member voted for Wilhite?

Canton Youth Symphony is named orchestra of the year
This is what makes CSO the hippest small town orchestra in America!

What can be expected if Ohio's tobacco taxes increase?
let's face it! The increase has little to do with smoking cessation

Rare Cleveland Indians photo from 1911 hits the auction block
Paddy Livingston, who cut his teeth on a Louisville Slugger in Kent, Ohio was one of the immortals that played in that game. He was the catcher. Ty Cobb actuall...

Nexus denies Green's request to relocate its planned gas pipeline
These people have so much power. Too much. They could care less about the people they leave when it is done. Spectra does not, and admits, they do not do the...

The former Hugo Boss plant is about to start making suits again in NE Ohio
Hugoo Boss should not even be allowed to make or sell suits in the USA ..... During WWII, they were a nazi company. They made the uniforms for the S.S.

Ohio voters remain split over gay marriage
It's all good. The bigots will get used to it, just like interracial marriage. Or they die off-either way, all is well :-)

Ohio Senate budget reduces low income housing funds
Bill is correct. Lake County receives funding to assist in the operations of permanent housing for over 90 households annually - persons who are living with a s...

Cleveland's mustard war rages on
Stadium Mustard is stolen from Bertman's and it is made in Chicago. Real thieves and creeps. Bertman's or death.

Copyright © 2015 WKSU Public Radio, All Rights Reserved.

 
In Partnership With:

NPR PRI Kent State University

listen in windows media format listen in realplayer format Car Talk Hosts: Tom & Ray Magliozzi Fresh Air Host: Terry Gross A Service of Kent State University 89.7 WKSU | NPR.Classical.Other smart stuff. NPR Senior Correspondent: Noah Adams Living on Earth Host: Steve Curwood 89.7 WKSU | NPR.Classical.Other smart stuff. A Service of Kent State University