News
News Home
Quick Bites
Exploradio
News Archive
News Channel
Special Features
NPR
nowplaying
On AirNewsClassical
Loading...
  
School Closings
WKSU Support
Funding for WKSU is made possible in part through support from the following businesses and organizations.

Hospice of the Western Reserve

Meaden & Moore

Lehmans


For more information on how your company or organization can support WKSU, download the WKSU Media Kit.

(WKSU Media Kit PDF icon )


Donate Your Vehicle to WKSU

Programs Schedule Make A Pledge Member BenefitsFAQ/HelpContact Us
Sports


Cleveland Browns sell for more than $1 billion
Truck-stop magnate Jimmy Haslam III will get 70 percent now, and 30 percent in 4 years
by WKSU's KABIR BHATIA


Reporter
Kabir Bhatia
 
Quarterback Colt McCoy runs the Browns offense during training camp in Berea. He and his teammates will soon be playing for a new team owner, Jimmy Haslam III.
Courtesy of Ron Schwane, Associated Press
Download (WKSU Only)
In The Region:

The Cleveland Browns have been sold for more than $1 billion to Tennessee truck-stop magnate Jimmy Haslam III.  WKSU’s Kabir Bhatia spoke with sports commentator Terry Pluto about why a losing team went for so much money.

Cleveland Browns sell for more than $1 billion

Other options:
Windows Media / MP3 Download (3:54)


(Click image for larger view.)

By the numbers, the Browns may not look like the 30th most valuable sports team in the world. 

Since its 1999 rebirth, the team has won less than a third of its games and made the playoffs just once.  Forbes magazine last year ranked Randy Lerner as the fourth worst owner in the NFL.

So he’s selling 70 percent of the team to the man who runs Pilot/Flying J truck stops, Jimmy Haslam III.  The remaining 30 percent goes to Haslam in four years, assuming the NFL approves the sale.

The price tag is about double what Randy Lerner’s father, Al, paid for the team in 1998, and WKSU sports commentator Terry Pluto says the boost is due to a number of factors.

“That’s based on the fact that the NFL keeps growing, the TV pot keeps getting bigger and bigger.  And a big thing, too, if you’re an owner, is the brand new labor agreement that goes on for a minimum of seven years.  [So] you’ve got a pretty good idea of what it’s going to cost to run this operation, and that helps you to really project profits.”

WKSU sports commentator Terry Pluto.  He says Haslam’s minority stake in the Pittsburgh Steelers actually helped him get a leg up on the Browns sale, as he’s already been vetted by the NFL.  And moving the team is out of the question for a number of reasons, starting with the fact that the Browns have another 18 seasons left on the lease at Browns stadium.

Add Your Comment
Name:

Location:

E-mail: (not published, only used to contact you about your comment)


Comments:




 
Page Options

Print this page

E-Mail this page / Send mp3

Share on Facebook




Stories with Recent Comments

Akron council committee recommends Forney for its opening
Which committee member voted for Wilhite?

Canton Youth Symphony is named orchestra of the year
This is what makes CSO the hippest small town orchestra in America!

What can be expected if Ohio's tobacco taxes increase?
let's face it! The increase has little to do with smoking cessation

Rare Cleveland Indians photo from 1911 hits the auction block
Paddy Livingston, who cut his teeth on a Louisville Slugger in Kent, Ohio was one of the immortals that played in that game. He was the catcher. Ty Cobb actuall...

Nexus denies Green's request to relocate its planned gas pipeline
These people have so much power. Too much. They could care less about the people they leave when it is done. Spectra does not, and admits, they do not do the...

The former Hugo Boss plant is about to start making suits again in NE Ohio
Hugoo Boss should not even be allowed to make or sell suits in the USA ..... During WWII, they were a nazi company. They made the uniforms for the S.S.

Ohio voters remain split over gay marriage
It's all good. The bigots will get used to it, just like interracial marriage. Or they die off-either way, all is well :-)

Ohio Senate budget reduces low income housing funds
Bill is correct. Lake County receives funding to assist in the operations of permanent housing for over 90 households annually - persons who are living with a s...

Cleveland's mustard war rages on
Stadium Mustard is stolen from Bertman's and it is made in Chicago. Real thieves and creeps. Bertman's or death.

Copyright © 2015 WKSU Public Radio, All Rights Reserved.

 
In Partnership With:

NPR PRI Kent State University

listen in windows media format listen in realplayer format Car Talk Hosts: Tom & Ray Magliozzi Fresh Air Host: Terry Gross A Service of Kent State University 89.7 WKSU | NPR.Classical.Other smart stuff. NPR Senior Correspondent: Noah Adams Living on Earth Host: Steve Curwood 89.7 WKSU | NPR.Classical.Other smart stuff. A Service of Kent State University